Sunday, March 25, 2007

Mute Commentator

“A blog is a user-generated website where entries are made in journal style and displayed in a reverse chronological order.

Blogs often provide commentary or news on a particular subject, such as food, politics, or local news; some function as more personal online diaries. A typical blog combines text, images, and links to other blogs, web pages, and other media related to its topic. The ability for readers to leave comments in an interactive format is an important part of most early blogs.”
(Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blog)

Why do people write blogs? Some write to show the creative side of their personality, some are genuinely good with words and want a platform to showcase that, some just rant for fun. For some it’s a hobby, for some a passion, for others just a time pass.
I write blogs because I want to capture my thoughts, my feelings about things in general. Things that are common in our day-to-day lives, things that we experience every now and then.
I have also written few blogs on sporting events, soccer and F1 to quote a few. At that point in my life, I was contemplating switching over to be a freelance sports journalist. With no formal degree or previous experience in mass communication and with just about to do good English, I decided against it.
For now, I am focused in capturing the beauty and essence of common things in life, things like friendship, emotion, love, hatred, jealousy, success, failure etc. Topics that are complex, but not complicated and cluttered. And topics that most of us can attach to, subjects that almost all of us have an opinion about, emotions that most of us have felt at some point of time in their lives.
I also read blogs. Blogs from friends, family, colleagues, even unknown strangers. The journey has been interesting. I have come across some blogs that have been beautifully crafted. I recently read a poem blog about Trust and the fear of losing it. The human emotions were captured so naturally and effortlessly. I have also read some blogs were, when you read it, will be awestruck with the range and usage of English words by the author. I have also read blogs where the user, with a generous dose of humor and anecdotes, most of which are from the author’s own experience, have made the article worth reading again and again.
And then I have been through blogs that stink of plagiarism. I can also be accused of the same, the sin being committed more than once. Once I tried to lift paras from different sources and pass it as my own. I have learnt my lesson, but few other continue to do the same, effortlessly lifting portions, in some case the entirety of the blog and faking it as their own.
And then I have read blogs that can be termed as complete crap. Blogs that sometimes mean nothing. Blogs that are so poorly constructed and which are so grammatically incorrect that the English professor who used to teach me in high school will faint, if I make him read those even once.
Once the blog is posted, the expectation of people reading and commenting on the same
comes into play. Comments add grace and value to the blog. And they encourage the author; they give him the motivation to write better posts in future.
I have read and experienced some beautiful comments, comments that are so good that they actually surpass the post in terms of their content, language and craft. I have seen comments that summarize the essence of the post so effortlessly.
But as was the case with the posts, I have been, at times, disappointed by the nature of comments. I have seen people commenting without even going through a quarter of the post, just to make the author feel good. And then there are comments from so called friends of the author; who, regardless of how outrageously incorrect and poorly framed with respect to the language, content and grace the post be, have depicted a feeling that the it was one of the most extraordinary posts that they have ever read. Aren’t they cheating the author, for how will the he know about the quality of his blogs, unless someone points it to him?
With that another thought crosses my mind, do all of us can and do take criticism positively and constructively? Some of us suffer from this superiority, self-centric complex; feeling that most of the things we do and approach cant go wrong. And when someone points out that, hello boss you are missing something, do we react appropriately?
With my experience of late, vis a vis comments and the author’s reactions about the same, I am kinda scared to write comments that can be termed as constructive criticism.
I have got this feeling that rather than improving upon the quality of future posts, my comments tend to upset the authors, they take it rather personally.
Guess, sugary, honey coated comments are the flavor of the season. If only to boost some egos.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

A point well taken.. a lesson one learnt.

I guess everyone needs appreciation and sometimes when we try too hard and know that things are not upto the mark. It's at that point of time that someones well meant remark stings the most. Its just that they are echoing your own thoughts.. which one would rather not acknowledge.

All I can say is that such comments ...even those which get rebuked strongly are meant because the person on the other end is thought to be capable enough of handling them... and no this is not to sugar coat stuff.
Sometimes one can hurt without intentions and all that is left is a single word.. SORRY..
And hopefully that the person on the other end understands that honest comments are still invited.

Anonymous said...

koi to batao thakur ki latest gf ka naam!!

Suchit said...

Ahh ... why do people write blogs??
I dunno. It has always intrigued me whether its the expression of self they want to portray or of the 'happening' lives they are living or is it to just hone their XL essay writing!! (Arnie -- don't blast me on the last point).
I never did. I never could.
It takes a lot of effort on my part to assimilate such a piece of writing and to compose one is asking too much of this lazy self.
I don't know if this comment is sugary or salty, but its the closest I've come to writing an e-book log!
Keeping blogs aside, I'm really interested in the answer to the question posed in the 2nd comment!! :) ... Will Arnie oblige??
So Long, Dear Diary!!

Ashu said...

well,why ppl write blog?
I think the person feels that he/she has something which was not recognised or something special abt which ppl are not aware.
So they write blogs and post it. wait for comments........
Comments also depend on the person who is writting and the context in which it was written.
may be that person is agree with your idea...so will highly appreciate you.
But the person puts a lot of effort to write blog hence no one will say it is bad...after all its your own way of thinking/living.
If you get a bad comment also then you should not be worried about.
After all nither you can be good in everyone's eyes nor you can justify yourself to all...

Anonymous said...

mujhe bhi batao kaun hai... !!
yaar 100 date se pehle jaan na hai

jazzonika said...

well written and good to read once more!

jishnukann said...

Very well written.
Crystal clear.
Though I'm afraid to say so now.

be assured.. nothing sugary here.

btw i think there's another form of comments.

The comments of so called critics.

"though the choice of the subject was good, whether you have done total justification to it is a question."

"Narration is OK, but so is to be expected from a guy who reads so much."

"May be these topics would be good. try it."

I think we should write a comment only when we like the post. Or dont write anything, tell him personally.
And comments should reflect the thoughts that crossed the mind while reading the post.

Anonymous said...

Loοκing fοr somеthing a bit mοrе eхрensivе than mаny consumers had bargained foг.
But then there νery bаsic ipad gаmes toο.

The prіce of the ipаd tablet at its lаunch еvent.
Howeѵeг, Amazon's 7in screened Kindle Fire HD that come with thumbing and prodding the screen. Coming to the imaging capabilities of the iPhone, it also allows you to dictate, rather than actually creating it.

my website ... Ipad (http://news.70.kg)